Bornomadic Adventures

Tales, Trails and Trips on how one can travel Safer, Cheaper and Longer!

Solo Travelled Sri Lanka from top to bottom for 15 days under 500$ (INR 35000)

Isn’t it true that everyone wants to travel? Yes, but money plays an important role in making this decision. Therefore, I’ll am sharing my journey how you can¬†travel cheaper, longer and safer in Sri Lanka ūüôā

How to travel Sri Lanka under 500$?

Trust me! You can travel even cheaper. I focused primarily on three things.
(a) Accommodation: If you chose the right accommodation. You would save a good money which can be used tor food or transport. So, I used websites like www.airbnb.com, www.booking.com, and www.agoda.com for places to spend the night. Keeping the expense as low as 10$ at most of the places. However, there were a few places where I had to pay 15$ but not beyond that. Also, I searched for homes that provide free breakfast, free Wi-Fi, and free laundry.
(b) Food: Make sure that your accommodation provides a free breakfast. Then, you would have to just focus on lunch and dinner. I chose inexpensive restaurants but decent ones. Being an Indian I thought that I would be able to get accustomed to Sri Lankan food. But it turned out to totally different. I was unable to develop the taste for the food. However, there were certain dishes that I did like.
(i) Rotti Рvery similar to India chapatti (bread) but with filling. The stuffing could be chicken, banana, pineapple, egg and the list goes on and on.
(ii)  Kuttu Рit is a mix of chapatti with vegetables, chicken
(iii)¬†Hopper¬†– is a bowl-shaped pancake-like dish. It’s made of rice.
Suggestion: 1 Litre Water¬†bottle¬†in Sri Lanka costs around 80-100 LRK (approx. 1$). So, what you can do is a carry a water bottle with a built-in filter so that you don’t have to buy one. I refilled them from places where there was water available. It saved good 50$ or so for me during my entire trip.
(c)¬†Transport: The whole country is very well connected through its bus and train system. You may have to change a bus or two to reach your destination at times. But it would definitely save some cash. The auto-rickshaws¬†(Tuk-Tuk) charge is pretty high. So, I avoided this medium. However, I did take an Auto-Rickshaw (Tuk-Tuk) once as I had to leave early to climb the Adam’s Peak and I had no other option. For trains, I would suggest taking a second class ticket as it is reasonable and the seats are fairly comfortable.
Note:¬†Purchase a SIM from a local shop outside the airport. I made a mistake by purchasing it from the airport costing me 1300LRK (250 minutes international,¬†500 minutes local, 3GB of data). Later, I got to know you could get a similar deal for 300LRK (500 minutes local, 2GB of data. This is a better deal¬†in case¬†you don’t need international minutes.¬†
I¬†travelled¬†as an “unplanned¬†traveller” without any itinerary. However, I was able to cover as much ground as I can in these 15 days.

Colombo | Kandy | Dambulla | Nuwara Eliya | Maskeliya | Ella | Mirissa | Galle | Anuradhapura | Jaffna | Colombo

My Journey…

Hope you guys enjoyed my journey. I have made a video of my travel. If it interests you please like, comment and subscribe to my channel. Would really appreciate it!

AnuradhapuraColomboDambullaEllaGalleJaffnaKandyMaskeliyaMirissaNuwara EliyaTravel Sri Lanka under 500$Travel without Guide

bornomadic • March 24, 2017

Previous Post

Next Post

Comments

1. Arnav Mathur June 9, 2017 - 6:37 pm Reply

Have been wanting to visit Sri Lanka for some time and your pics and blog just reignited the wanderlust.
    INR 35k for 15 days looks super duper awesome.

2. Harmony Skillman June 10, 2017 - 11:31 am Reply

wow!I cannot imagine a more comprehensive Sri Lanka post, a place I have not given much thought to recently! I love your bandana… incredible pics and tips!

3. Guilherme Eisfeld June 10, 2017 - 11:39 am Reply

Sri Lanka is amazing, but it is possible to make with way less money than that. But okay, I mostly hitchhike and try to stay with local people haha
    Well done, man!

4. Hassan June 11, 2017 - 11:13 pm Reply

This is very informative post about Sri Lanka. I havent been there but i will take some tips from your post on my visit. Good stuff

5. Sophie June 12, 2017 - 6:50 am Reply

This is certainly the coolest solo trip you have had! Sri lanka certainly looks amazing! I would love to do Solo trip like this once! Cheers!

6. Anj Yap August 4, 2017 - 8:48 am Reply

Amazing trip! You can indeed travel to wonderful places without spending too much and at the same time, giving yourself a break! ūüôā

7. Anuradha Goyal August 4, 2017 - 11:23 am Reply

Recently did a road trip across Sri Lanka & it is such an easy country to do a road trip. After India, it seems like such a manageable country.

8. Ambuj Saxena August 4, 2017 - 11:32 am Reply

Wow I would love to travel like you did. I guess some of the tips you offered like traveling by mass transport and carrying a water bottle and refilling it where there are water purifiers are good tips!

9. joann August 4, 2017 - 12:27 pm Reply

Must be cool to travel to Sri Lanka. Thanks for sharing your journey

10. Pia August 5, 2017 - 10:20 am Reply

Sri Lanka, is also a country I would like to visit one day. You traveled by yourself, If I got it right? What do you think, would it be possible for a woman on her own, too?

11. Alexxa August 13, 2017 - 2:11 pm Reply

Dope video. Dreaming of going to Sri Lanka, so jealous!

12. mirela16 September 1, 2017 - 3:34 pm Reply

I would like to visit Sri Lanka, It is on my bucket list. Nice post and very usefull.

13. ADITI MALHOTRA September 1, 2017 - 4:27 pm Reply

Amazing.. I never imagined one could travel for so cheap.. this is an awesome post, very informative..thanks for sharing

14. Globejamun September 1, 2017 - 5:09 pm Reply

Wow loved every bit of your blog. Now I have to plan a trip soon

15. wanderlustvlog September 1, 2017 - 6:30 pm Reply

Very good article with tons of information! If one day I decided to go to Sri Lanka and I want to keep my budget low, I will definitely use this article!!

Thanx!